Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Fond Farewell to 2009 and Looking Toward 2010

Last year's resolution was pretty much just to keep on keeping on, which I've done. I actually had a bit of a resolution to sew less, as discussed in my stash resolution post, as crazy as that seems! I devote a lot of time, energy, and head space to sewing and it seemed possible that I was using it as an excuse to hide from the world a bit.

Although I didn't really end up sewing that much less I felt like I did slow down a bit--no fewer garments (actually a couple more than last year, based on my imprecise counts for both years), but I think overall the average of my projects was much less complicated so there was less time involved. And it totally worked out for me, whether setting my intention really did have an effect or it was just random. I know it has been a bad year for many, so I hope my happiness doesn't seem inappropriate but 2009 has been *my* year in my personal and professional life. One of the best years ever for me. I still love sewing and have missed it when I haven't had time to do it, but the tradeoffs I have made have been worth it. I am happy, and this is not something I've always been able to say.



The Stats

50 Pattern Reviews for the year (some of those were for garments made in 2008, which is why the numbers don't seem to add up).

photoed and reviewed: 42 garments (I'm calling the hat a garment since it took a fair amount of sewing)
5 knit tops
3 woven tops
5 skirts
15 knit dresses
12 woven dresses
1 coat
1 hat

Awaiting photography and review: 18 garments
3 knit tops
1 woven top
4 skirts
2 knit dresses
4 woven dresses
1 pair PJ pants
1 bathing suit

Totals: 60 garments
8 knit tops
4 woven tops
9 skirts
17 knit dresses
16 woven dresses
1 coat
1 hat
1 PJ pants
1 bathing suit
Plus
Misc. projects: 2 belts (braided ribbon and obi), 4 aprons, 1 refashioned sweater, several pairs of underwear

UFOs:
Suit Jacket. Ugh. I need to recommit to this project and either tackle welted pockets with flaps or just leave the damn pockets off already.

On the bright side, I think that's my only UFO from this year. I cut out a skirt of the same fabric at the same time but haven't started sewing it. I don't know if that's a UFO or not.

I had a UFO of a crappy attempt to alter a so-so pattern out of horrible fabric that I hated but I threw it away. It was very liberating.

Failures:
Two projects turned out awful. One was my fault, the other was a gross pattern. I haven't reviewed them yet. The Butterick 5079 Twist Dress was so so. Another unreviewed project needs some fixing, I guess; it's not wearable as intended at the moment, but is still not horrible. Everything else ranges from fine to awesome.

Favorites are very hard to choose this year! I had a ton of projects I loved. It's a lot easier to choose the duds.

Grand Entrance



Favorite special occasion dress: Birthday dress of silk jersey from Drape Drape Japanese pattern book. I've only worn this once, but I love it.







Side





Favorite Knit Dress: BWOF 03-2009-102








Front






Best day-to-night piece: BWOF 02-2009-124 Lace Dress










==================================

So for 2010 I will continue to maintain my balance, in all senses of the phrase.

Stash balance, of course, is part of it. In the end I greatly exceeded my six yard monthly allotment--around 166 yards. *gulp* I had no idea it was so much. I thought I had bought way less than in years past and in fact began composing this blog post to that effect. But it turns out that when I actually tallied it all up it was almost half again as much (my average the past two years was about 110 yards). I guess not keeping track didn't work.

I found a place to give away my 2008 stash cull (DC Threads), and gave a few more pieces away this year. My shelves look emptier than at the end of last year, but maybe I just did better at distributing the fabric. However, with the huge exception of all the fabric I bought in NYC in June--I have sewn only four of the fourteen pieces I purchased--I have done better at buying fabrics that I am inspired to sew right now, and I love most everything that has been added to stash.

Knit and woven balance is also something to contemplate. I fall back on the easy knits quite often. I enjoy wearing them, but sometimes I'd like to be a little dressier. But sewing "too many" knits doesn't really bother me. They travel so well!

Dresses and separates are another imbalance in my sewing life. I love dresses. In Spring/Summer I wear them almost exclusively, which is what I want. In winter I am always wanting more separates. For some reason I am a little dressier in Fall/Winter, so those separates are more work than their summer counterparts, and then I get impatient and end up in knit dresses for Fall/Winter. So I'd like to add a few more separates to my closet.

But above all, I want to maintain my work/sewing/gym/life balance. I am prone to going overboard in one area of life so it is not an equilibrium that is reached and then easily maintained. Mindfulness is always useful to me!

Here's to a wonderful, healthy, happy 2010!

18 comments:

Lilian said...

Just checked your 2009-projects (thanks for that) and it was great to see them all again. Can I pick a fourite one? That would be the long dress, you've got the cropped hairstyle there and sunglasses on. Such a glamorous picture! You make great clothes and it's always a joy to read your blog.
Thanks for that. I hope you have a wonderful 2010.

Pamela said...

Happy New Year - 2010 is going to be fantastic!

AuntieAllyn said...

Your birthday dress was just a killer . . . looks so gorgeous! You should be very proud of creating such a fabulous outfit. Thanks for a year of great posts . . . wishing you an even better 2010!

Meg said...

Love that sexy birthday dress! Did I miss that the first time around?!

Have a great New Year's and stay warm!

Shannon said...

I'm glad that 2009 was such a wonderful year for you - let's hope 2010 is even better!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I can see why that pink dress is a favorite - it is cute and fun! I'm glad 2009 was good for you and hopefully 2010 will be even better!

Happy New Year!

Karen said...

I am one of those people who had significant challenges during 2009. That said, I am glad that '09 was an awesome year for you. Your happiness shared in the world only makes it a better place for all! So enjoy your successes! Peace and joy in 2010!

McVal said...

Wonderful! You've had a very productive year! I hope to use up more of my stash and do more making Christmas presents earlier in the year... And making things for my girls that they want!
Happy New Year!
Val

Tany said...

Your birthday dress was the reason I bought the Drape Drape book!

Happy New Year!

Faye Lewis said...

All of your work was wonderful! I love the pink lace dress and your birthday dress was off the chain!

Ann Made Studio said...

Happy New Year!

Vicki said...

Watching that slide show, I thought it would never end (in a good way)...you made so many pieces. Love the drape dress of course but there were lots of great pieces. I am glad 2009 was good for you. Not so bad for me either - but not much sewing. I am feeling the love for sewing in 2010! Happy New Year.

Lynn said...

You're one of my favorites to read, and I'm very happy things are going so well. Here's to the last few hours of 2009, for the wonderful memories, and the trying memories. Here's to 2010, may it be wonderful and bring everyone lots of happiness.

Laura Lee said...

Good lordie girl - do you ever sleep???? You certainly set the bar high for the rest of us!!! Happy New Year and keep on inspiring us!!
Best
Laura

angie.a said...

Nice stats. Hehe. You're so productive though! LOVE the pink/lace dress. I had forgotten that one!

Happy New Year!!

senaSews said...

Wow, seams you had a great sewing year! My personal favorite is the drape drape dress! It's just awesome!

Best wishes and a happy new year!

amber said...

Here's to a fabulous 2010!

Anni O'Neill said...

Have I told you how much I love your blog? My New Years Resolution is to let all you great sewing bloggers know how much I loooove reading about what you are sewing and keeping me informed and inspired.
Thank you for all the work you put into this wonderful blog.