Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vintage Pattern Score

My friend Courtney told me a while back that her grandmother had given her a bunch of old patterns for me. It turned out to be an entire grocery bag of patterns mostly from the late 60s-early 80s. The beauty of it is that Courtney is around the same size as me; you can see us side by side at Mermaid Parade 2007. So most of the patterns are in my size! (I'm assuming she is about the same size as her mom and grandma as well.) Well, I should say, the tops are my size. The bottoms are for someone who is proportioned the same top and bottom, i.e. too small for me.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Favorites

I LOVE the blouse on top. It has so many great elements: notched collar, yoke with soft front gathers, air hostess cuff detail. Also check out the shoes; they are 100% in fashion right now. It really does all come back around (although the collar of the blouse needs to be narrowed a touch). I can't wait to make it, though I find that despite rather large stash of fabric I never have what I want! Which right now is printed cottons. I have, I think, only one lightweight cotton print, and I'm not crazy about it. I want a bunch of dotted swiss and Liberty-style lawns. Or if we're wishing how about real Liberty lawns. But in real life I'd settle for good quality imitations. Even medium quality imitations.

The others also have great detail. The keyhole neckline. The yoke and tiny pleats (give it more of a scoopneck and change the sleeves just a little and it's got a similar feel to the Tracy Reese I blogged last week). The two-tone basic shift with cute little cut on collar. Love them.

There are lots of children's patterns in there too, for crazy complicated girls' dresses. I enjoyed my foray into children's sewing for my niece and nephew, but I'm not going to get all elaborate with it.

I will go through them and do some giveaways when I get the chance.

==============================

Sitemeter is fun. It's interesting to see what kind of searches lead to my blog. I had two amusing ones recently, a blogsearch for "HOT BABE BLOG" and a google search for "WELL SHAPED BUST." Apparently when looking for naughty pictures it is necessary to have the CAPS LOCK key on. I can only imagine the disappointment of the searchers who found sewing information where the only person who appears nude is a paper tape double.

==============================

And while I'm being random, does anyone else get this ad on gmail?

"Berina Sewing Machines - Overstock.com - 30-70% off Berina sewing machines. Entire order ships for just $2.95!"

It bothered me for the longest time. I couldn't figure out if it was a typo for "Bernina" or if a shady sewing machine company is engaging in trademark confusion by producing "Berina" sewing machines. This is a big problem in Asia with motorbikes. Honda is the best, most trusted brand, but you have to be careful you're not buying a "Honoda" or a "Handa" instead. Anyway, I finally went to Overstock and searched "Berina" and "Bernina" and came up with nothing for either, so the ad makes no sense whatsoever. Annoying. I refuse to click on it to find out what it leads to.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lucky to come across vintage patterns! And I love your children's clothes--it is very gratifying to see them wear them, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

What great vintage patterns! I'm jealous!

And no, I've been laughing at that ad for a while now, crazy isn't it?

Meg said...

Simplicity 5403 was one of my favorite patterns! I must have made it when I was in high school, I think the short-sleeved version. Good pattern score.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Like Lindsay T, I made one of these patterns in high school.I made 6110 in lightweight denim and I felt like I was SO STYLISH. Lucky you!

JC said...

Those are very nice vintage patterns. Amazing how they're in your size as well. BTW: Have you been to a DC Threads meeting, yet?
I went to my first one in Jan and went in Feb. It's really nice for all levels. I did write ups on my blog. I also love G Street. The Falls Church one is just across from my job.

There's a Hancock's about 3 miles from me and a Jo-Ann's in that same mall where G Street is (Seven Corners). I don't particularly care for that Jo-Ann's. It's kinda junky and the times I've been in there, (at least for me), hard to get assistance and the overall attitude isn't as if that location wants to give it....and as one re-entering sewing, I need all of the assistance I can get! Take care.

badmomgoodmom said...

Why not click on the ad? They get charged for each click. So the more you click, the more they pay. You can drive them under by clicking repeatedly. You can orchestrate a campaign to bankrupt them!

teresa said...

What *is* your size? Reason I ask is I just recently did a trade with Erin from DressaDay blog and I had scanned a few patterns that were too big for me and she chose what she wanted and now I have a few scanned but no one to give them to. I would be happy to give them to you, or better, trade for any you might have in my size, if you are interested.

I've been thinking that it would be great if there was some sort of pattern trade site. Have I missed the boat and there already is? I hope! If not, maybe we can get something going???? I'm a tech geek, so I could handle some of the set up. Do you think there are enough people with patterns they'd like to trade (maybe even just because they already made them once and don't plan to again???) that it would be worthwhile????

(Sorry for such a long message, but post if you're interested. The link to my "too big" patterns is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcarole/sets/72157614088185863/
)

Dana said...

Ohhh the vintage... great patterns.

That Sitemeter comment - I was looking last week and a post on my blog titled "big honkin' pants" came up when someone did a search for MC Hammer pants!!! (Someone had used that desciription in the comments section...oh wait...now I guess your blog will come in the search too!)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

*LOL* at Dana's comment above!!!

I love the 70's dresses with the keyhole inserts or just inserts in general. That small detail elevates the dress without making it look sleazy. It will be nice to see what you do with these vintage patterns, because I'm chomping at the bit waiting for warmer weather so that I can make some of my vintage dress patterns.

Sharon Sews said...

I have two of those vintage patterns - the wardrobe with the top and the keyhole neckline dress - and I also love the details on that top. Always fun to get your hands on some vintage patterns.

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Love them. Especially the bell trousers!

Linda L said...

Great vintage patterns.

Audrey said...

I feel old. That blouse pattern you scored.. I still have in my pattern stash. I made the blouse several times and loved wearing it... back in high school. It will look cute on you.

Unknown said...

Hi there!

Lovely pattern collection you have there. I am new to all this big4 thing and have a cloth here just crying to become a keyhole dress. My searches on google with the company and the number revealed another, totally different pattern of a skirt and vest. Any suggestions? I really appreciate your help!

Kind regards from Munich, Germany,

Renata

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Hi Renata-

Pattern numbers get reused, so you just have to keep searching until you find the right one. Check out the Vintage Pattern Wikia to see if this pattern has been entered in there. You can add a wishlist request.