Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Look 6429: How can this be?

Thumbnail

I've had my eye on New Look 6429 for years. There are 46 reviews of it on PR and it looks good on everyone, no matter their figure. So I figured it would be perfect to use on one of my cute FFC knits to make a low-stress, quickie addition to my wardrobe for Germany (yes, we're going back to October again).

I did my usual SBA for a wrap style, shortening the wrap line to prevent gape and merrily cut an 8, which is allegedly for a 31.5 inch bust.

This sucker came out HUGE. Ugh. I hate the Big 3 and their stupid ease. Who wants to look like that, especially in a knit? And while I love the princess side panel design of this dress, it means that there is no bodice side seam and therefore no way to alter the dress after it's cut out and put together. Normally I just tweak the fit at the side seams, but here there was nothing to be done.

I also felt like the left side underlap was too short.

Action ShotI do like the cuffs and collar, so that's something.

I was completely disappointed in how this pattern came out on me. Although I shortened the neckline it is still way too wide and I had to do that hideous thing where you tack it in the middle *not* at the natural place that it overlaps so the line is distorted. I feel like the skirt is more A-line than represented. I didn't use the neck facing and it looks horrible, but that's all on me. Luckily(?), this fabric was low quality so although the print is cute I didn't feel like I wasted it.

I still like the design elements of this pattern, but I'm not sure if it would be worth the amount of effort it will take to alter it so it actually fits my body (further shorten wrap, narrow side princess panel and front princess seams, take skirt in at waist, narrow skirt width). Since I'm already at the smallest size on the pattern, I'd have to grade it down 2-3 sizes and that is so much trouble. I'm not ready to junk it yet, but it's definitely on the back burner.

All photos are here and the pattern review is here.

19 comments:

NancyDaQ said...

I dunno, I think it looks cute in the photos. Magic closet time?

Rachel said...

It looks cute. I am so happy you posted about this because I just cut that dress out this weekend. I had read in several of the PR reviews that it runs really big. I was really unsure what size to cut because they don't give the finished measurements for the bust on the pattern sheets :( I cut a size smaller than I usually cut and I am going to do a test run on some really cheapo knit fabric.

Gigi said...

I love this dress but it does run large! I have a 40" bust and make a straight 8 and it is a perfect fit. But I think it looks really cute on you and would definitely be worth working out the fit issues.

Anonymous said...

Step away from the dress...and then re-visit in a few days. I think it looks great on you! It skims and slims and is very flattering! I should be so lucky to get a look like that!

PegL

Myra said...

Actually, I think it looks great, but your picture's a bit fuzzy to me. Could you try some clear/thin elastic that is slightly shorter on the necklines on your next try?

marysews said...

The shoulders seem to hit at the right spot, and the neckline seems neither too wide nor too low. So, what's the problem? It looks great from here!

Birgitte said...

I think you look great in the photo. My one and only experience with New Look was a complete disaster- for the very reasons you stated- and I never "Look-ed" back :)) It's now BWOF or self draft only.

Jackie said...

I think you look very nice in the dress and I like your fabric as well.

BeeBee said...

Well, it looks good from behind. Maybe you could make it your "walkin' away" dress.
I'm not going to lie to make you feel good and then have you walking around (or towards people) in it. That just wouldn't be right. The fabric's really cute, though. But with no side seam, I don't know of a quick fix (my usual is just to take up the sides). Too bad, it's a nice pattern, and thanks for saving me the trouble. I'm about your size, so I'd have a lot of the same issues.

Vicki said...

From here it looks good and not too big - if that is any consolation. It is a really cute pattern.

Anonymous said...

I like it and agree it doesn't look bad and I love the print.

Cennetta said...

Sorry you're unhappy with the results. I think it looks nice.

-E said...

I always love the idea of a wrap dress, and then hate the way it looks on me...

It would look kinda hot with a wide cinching belt.

Lisette M said...

I made this dress a while ago but I remember that I was worried about not having true side seams so I remember that I measured and remeasured the pattern. I didn't review it so I can't revisit my notes :( I did think you looked really nice in your version and the fitting issues are not obvious maybe because of the busy print. Give it another try later on!

Uta said...

I also think it looks quite nice, and the print/colors look very good on you. Putting in darts or slashing and creating a seam isn't an option I guess? I'm going to a carnival parade later today and will take some pictures for German carnival's fan no. 1 - maybe they will cheer you up! Have a look at my blog later on.

Anonymous said...

I hear you on this pattern! I know everyone loved it but I was disappointed. I cut out a 14 but measure a 16 and it was still HUGE! I was so excited to make this, my first LRD (Little Red Dress) for my husbands holiday party...grrrr! I should try it again in a 12 or even a 10 but I'm still sulking about it...

Little Hunting Creek said...

I know you said that it is too big, but it DOES look cute on you. I think I'd MAKE a side seam and take it in :)

Adelaide B said...

I have to say that I would walk away from the pattern unless you are really dedicated to working it out. There are a lot of cool patterns out there waiting to be tried. (You could cut and paste this into my dating advice as well.)

Sigrid said...

I LOVE your fabric. Pity you're not happy with it, but it doesn't look that much too big in the pictures. Great dress, worth a second try/little change.