Sunday, May 18, 2008

Stashoholism Confessional: Paris Edition

Well, I had so much fun blogging my Paris fashion! Thanks for playing along with me. Eventually, there will be travel blogging at Travel at Home and Abroad. The posts are actually all written, but I need to edit and post pictures *and* I'd really like to put up Vietnam first, since I went there first. But those posts are not written. So who knows. I'll post an alert when it goes up.

Here's a recap:



And now, the good stuff! Here are my fabric purchases. Only two, but I think all of us with stash problems have learned the hard way that more isn't always better. Sometimes it's just more. (I lifted that from the "Sabrina" remake, which I watched before I left to feed my excitement about my trip.)



The one on the left is from Dreyfus, purchased while I was with Karen. It's a beautiful polished cotton and I love the print. I didn't think to put anything on there for scale, but the polka dots are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. They're big. And cute. I got three meters, with the idea of making the BWOF 04-2008-127 Marilyn-esque exclusive design. It may be my birthday dress this year. Total cost was around 13E.

The one on the right is an embroidered cotton batiste from Reine. More blue! I always think I should branch out from blue, but you know, it is just my favorite color and that's all there is to it. Around 21E for two meters. It will be a shirtdress, I think. I'm considering tackling Simplicity 4122 again, sleeveless again with a wide ruffle and then some layered ruffles at the sleeve (based on an idea from an expensive designer garment I saw in Printemps) and using an elasticated shirring in the back to give it some shape, or else making the bodice and skirt separate. I don't know. I need to think on it some more. If you have any shirtdress ideas with a slimmer cut skirt (at only 2 meters and around 50 wide, I can't eke out a full-skirt) let me know. A pear shape can be tough to dress sometimes.

3 comments:

loopylulu said...

I enjoyed your travel outfit blogging series from Paris!

Vicki said...

I am glad you got some fabric purchases - now you can have 3 Paris dresses!

Claire said...

I hear you on the stashing, blue as a favorite color and the pear shape. I also enjoyed your travel outfit blogging from Paris.

The fabrics are really pretty and I like what you plan to do with them. Check Ann (Gorgeous Fabrics) blog for a narrow shirtdress idea. She is in the process of making one now and for the life of me I cannot remember the company or number.