Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Simplicity 5914, The Classic Trumpet Skirt

Thumbnail

This pattern is an oldie but goodie. I got Simplicity 5914 who knows how many years ago; it's possible I was still in Austin when I made it for the first time in a moleskin flocked with flowers that's still in my closet. When I found PatternReview I didn't go back and review everything I'd ever made (I can't even keep up on a going forward basis!) so I never wrote about this one.

Then when I was planning to do the mini-wardrobe contest in November this was one of the pieces, along with the disastrous velvet skirt, the silk print dolman blouse, and...honestly, I can't remember what the other top was supposed to be. It was all to coordinate with the Bennetton jacket I got from Goodwill. The skirt fabric is my one and only fabric purchase from Exquisite Fabrics, whose new Georgetown location I still haven't had the chance to visit. I was in Georgetown last weekend from a bridal shower, but Exquisite is closed on Sundays.

My last minute trip to Paris for work threw off my timeline (and no, I'm not complaining) so I didn't get it done for the mini-wardrobe--though I did finish it in time for Paris. The jacket is perfect with this skirt and also works with the Vogue 7898 asymmetric wrap dress.

Shortened PatternFrom that first iteration I learned that the pattern is drafted for a giant. I usually need to shorten skirts a couple of inches, but this one needed around 4 inches of shortening. In the moleskin version, the flare was way too low; well below the knee and heading toward the calf. This was in my less sophisticated sewing days so I just chopped a bunch off at the waist (wait, that's what I'd still do) to raise the flare. however, I didn't then re-fit the waist, which I would have done nowadays. Whenever I put it on I think I should go back in and fix the waist, but I only wear it a couple times a year--I have so many clothes I only wear most things a couple times a year--and it doesn't seem worth it.

While this skirt is a TNT, it still takes some fitting adjusting because you use the same pattern pieces for the front and back. My front and back aren't shaped the same. So I have to take in the back waist. It's been easier to do this on the skirt than draft new pattern pieces.

SideI also took the seams in on this one under the booty because it was looking a little baggy there. The fit is very nice, although a tad va-voom-y. But since I'll never be va-va-voom at the top, I have to take it where I can get it.

I added a lining to this one for the first time. I just cut out the skirt pieces minus the facing and sewed in. I was hoping the lining would help prevent wrinkling but no dice. This skirt wrinkles heavily. The last time I wore it I used spray starch on the inside and it had no effect either. I fear I should go in and interface the whole thing. Ugh. Any ideas short of that?

Business Card PocketI'm a big fan of this skirt and it looks perfect with the jacket. Incidentally, the pocket flaps on this (what I'm sure was very expensive when new) suit are fake! There are no actual pockets associated with it! If I'm wearing a suit it's because I am attending a business meeting or conference and need to have business cards handy for passing around. So I sewed a little patch pocket to the inside of the jacket to hold them. Much more convenient than carrying around a purse.

All photos are here and the pattern review is here.

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the details about the Simplicity 5914 pattern! All your versions look great! I really like this pattern, too, even though I had the same problem you did with the length. I didn't think too much about the length when I made it a couple of years ago (when I started sewing), and it turned out so long that it only looks good with boots. Now, I am thinking about making another version, and shorten the pattern, but somehow trying to do it in a way that I can keep the lovely flare at the lower section of the skirt. Your instructions help a lot! I really like the silhouette of this pattern.

Melissa said...

Love the color of the skirt - it looks fab on you! I'm catching up on my blog reading today and you've been making some fabulous stuff. Sorry I haven't posted on each entry, but you're building yourself quite a wardrobe and yay for using your stash!!! :-)

Birgitte said...

You look adorable, and yes- va-va-voomy :)) Love all your versions of this skirt.

Sigrid said...

What a great basic. You certainly have some wonderful skirts from this pattern. And you have been sewing a lot lately! The collar on the shirt in previous post is super.

Anonymous said...

This is a truly flattering skirt, in the length and the color and the tailoring. It does wonders for the curves and is super feminine!

Myra said...

That skirt looks great on you. I don't think I have that pattern, but probably have something similar. Will have to try it.

Sherril said...

"But since I'll never be va-va-voom at the top, I have to take it where I can get it."

I love your justification, but honestly, you don't need any. The skirt looks fantastic on you.

Shannon said...

This skirt looks great! I can't understand why some patterns use the same pieces for front and back. My front certainly doesn't match my back either!

Jenny said...

Gorgeous skirt! I have this pattern but have never tried it out. Thanks for the advice on adjustments. This one is very flattering on you:)

Anonymous said...

Okay-- big question...would this pattern work with a silk brocade? It isn't too heavy but being a brocade, it is a bit stiff.

The skirt looks great on you! I love finding a good pattern and work it up in different ways! And I am a big fan of blue so it is absolutely perfect to me!

neighbourhood.gal said...

I have this same pattern, but I have yet to use it. My problem is that it needs pockets, but it is probably too close-fitting to have side seam pockets. (I fear they would gap open.)

It is nice to know that someone whose fashion taste I admire also likes this skirt pattern!

Faye Lewis said...

That's another beautiful TNT. With all you can do, I know you can do a fly zipper. I love Sandra Betzina's method for the mock fly zipper, it work's every time.

Carol said...

I love this skirt. I'm trying to break out of my short, straight skirts and this is the sort of pattern I think I should try. It's very flattering.

Sue said...

Great colour and fit!

AllisonC said...

Looks great, gotta love TNT's! But I got totally distracted by your comment that you have so many clothes you only wear each piece once or twice a year. Wow I want to see your closet!!

Meg said...

What a classic skirt style. Sometimes I wish I worked at a more formal place so I could wear cute skirts and work outfits like yours.

Big Sis said...

Complete DUH on the pocket-in-the-jacket! I have a few jackets that have fake pockets - which drives me crazy. Now, if I could just figure out a sleek fix to the pants-with-fake-pockets dilemma.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Cute skirt! And it looks great on you. I like your method of adjusting the waist as you go - since every fabric is different on, you really have to do that anyway.

Linda L said...

Another great looking skirt!

Linda L said...

Me again, I am going to be in Fredricksburg, VA Monday and Tuesday for business meeting. I know that this close to DC. Do you know of any fabric stores I could possibly visit in that area? I wasn't sure if GStreet had a location there or not.

Jackie said...

Nice skirt! I just pulled that pattern a few days ago to consider for an upcoming project

Anonymous said...

Next time underline the skirt instead of lining. It should help with the wrinkling. Skirt looks cute.

Jillian said...

I love the colour and the skirt looks great on you! I have this pattern in my stash and now I've got the urge to dig it up and make it.

Lisette M said...

Great classic skirt in a gorgeous color.

Megann said...

I've been reading for a while but never commented before. This skirt looks great! I have a question - what on earth does TNT stand for? I've seen that before on other sewing blogs and have yet to figure it out.

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh out loud when I read your comment that the pattern was made for giants! I have made both the short and long versions, and in both cases I had to add length and/or skimp on the hem in order to get them to hit in the right spot. I thought the pattern was made for tiny little people :D Which begs the question, who in the heck *are* they modeling these patterns on??

Marita said...

Trena, lovely skirts:-)

greenehouse2003 said...

This is my first time visiting your blog, and while it is not a recent entry, when I googled Simplicity pattern 5914, your entry came up and I have enjoyed it thoroughly!

I have made this skirt about 30 times--mostly the A-line version--for my daughters who can't find anything in the stores that they like. We like the length--maybe just a little bit too long.

I have made the trumpet version of the skirt too--laughed so hard at your comment about the front being the same as the back--so true!! I had to admit I was surprised the first time I made it that they were the same, lol. One friend commented that her front and back stuck out the same and so maybe it would work for her--roflol!

Anyway, I also just took in the seams to get the fit I wanted. Thank you for your review and the pictures look great--love your sewing innovations!!

Warmly
Corrine (mom to 6 girls and 1 little guy)

a. b. said...

AAAH! I started making a trumpet skirt using one I already had as a pattern, but this looks better and simpler. And to think, Joann was having a $2 sale on all Simplicity patterns-- I should run back over there soon.