Monday, March 30, 2009

Back from Miami

Wardrobe

I had a great time in Miami! I managed to make four new wardrobe pieces (plus my birthday dress from last year) so I felt all styling, though I kind of wished I'd made a short dress. I didn't want to look like the Young Things on their Spring Break (it appears to be a "thing" to wear your booty shorts unbuttoned and the fly peeled back to expose your bathing suit and, in one instance, your underwear), but they reminded me that I used to looooove wearing short skirts when I was younger. Somewhere around age 30 my skirts settled at the knee and have stubbornly refused to budge ever since. Even when I think I'm making something short, it only barely skims above the knee. I need to put a genuinely (but not obscenely) short dress on my Spring/Summer sewing list.

Sisters I was there with my sister. We have wanted to travel together since we were teenagers, but she started having my nephews in her early 20s and by the time either of us could afford to travel she couldn't leave the kids. The youngest is now 4 so we had a window and we took it! It wasn't the trip to Italy we planned so long ago, but we both were desperate for warm weather, sunshine, and lots of relaxing.

Eden Roc Hotel I used Priceline to get our hotel; we ended up at the Renaissance Eden Roc Resort and Spa. It's right on the beach and has four gorgeous pools. Our room had an ocean view but no balcony, but for what we paid I can't complain! The bar area was gorgeous and the gym had up-to-the-minute equipment.

BoardwalkI loved the boardwalk, though I fear they are replacing it with a ground-level cement path, which is neither as comfortable nor as romantic as a traditional boardwalk. It goes all the way down to the bottom of the spit of land on which Miami Beach is situated and most days I took a long walk down, got ice cream, and walked back up.

The weather was good, which was so nice after predictions of rain for most of the days! It was a little cloudy, but there was always sun (even on my last day, which was mostly cloudy and a little rainy). It was warm in the sun, but cool in the shade. I love the beach but burn like crazy and I usually sit under an umbrella the whole time. It was too cold under an umbrella so I got a little burned, despite my liberal and frequent application of 50 SPF sunscreen with titanium dioxide. The worst place? The back of my hands! When I reach into my purse it scrapes against them and hurts!

I slept late, read books, had nice workouts, ate a lot of dessert, and lounged in the sun to my heart's content. I wasn't quite ready to come home, but I suppose better to leave with a little longing than bored.

You can see all the photos with a concentration on my wardrobe here on my sewing flickr, and a slightly different set with more concentration on the scenery on my travel flickr here; I haven't gotten my sister's pictures yet so there will be more eventually.

20 comments:

Nancy K said...

You look great in your Florida/summer wardrobe.

Christina said...

Very fashionable! Looks like a great trip. I could use some sunshine right about now.

Marte said...

Kneelength really is the best skirt length, so there is no wonder that you stick to it! It's modest compared to the rest of the world, it doesn't take too much fabric, and it's a flattering length for almost everyone.

Even so, I suddenly have a craving for longer skirts. So don't worry.

Adelaide B said...

I think your dresses are the perfect length. They are classic and retro which is the perfect look when going on vacation. (One should always feel mysterious and fascinating on vacation.)

spottedroo said...

I love the outfits--especially the birthday dress. Lucky you getting to travel with your sister.

Meg said...

Lucky you! I have always wanted to go to Miami. One of these days... I really like BWOF 119 on you, BTW.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back and glad you had fun!

Great traveling outfits. You looked comfy AND chic! My skirts have always been at my knee for the most part, even when I was a size 0 so I never think anything about it, but I can't wat to see a shorter dress!

Faye Lewis said...

Glad you and your sister had a great time! You looked so good and fashionable in your summer wardrobe.

AllisonC said...

Glad you had a great time. The pictures and your holiday wardrobe look fantastic!

Karen K said...

I love your vacation wardrobe! You look fantastic!

gwensews said...

It's so good you got to spend some time with your sister. Now that you're all rested, you can hit the ground running!

Carol said...

Looks like you had a great time and it's wonderful that you had a complete wardrobe to take. Miami is the same climte as Byron Bay where I live, but much calmer. As for skirt length, do what you feel. I'm 46 and my skirts are still well above my knee.

neighbourhood.gal said...

I'm so glad you were able to travel. I would love a little sunshine right now (except that I wouldn't have anything to wear if it was actually warm).

I also am envious of your green sandals! Who makes them? They look perfect for my summer life here in Vancouver.

Kristy Chan said...

oh I love your travel wardrobe - I think you're one of those travellers that I secretly give the evil eye to because I always feel badly dressed. If I ever go on holiday again (not soon with a new baby that's for sure) I'm going to try to emulate your style

Anonymous said...

A vacation in FL sounds wonderful (it's been a long winter in PA). Your BWOF 119 looks great on you and very comfy.
I enjoy reading your blog and looking at all of your completed projects. bev

Claire S. said...

It sounds like you had a great time. Lucky you, a vacation with your sister ! I admit, I don't dress that well on holiday either, time to change that, I think - your outfits look wonderful. That must be what they call inspiration :-)

LaKaribane said...

Love the dresses! And another reason I love sewing blogs: they make me look at patterns with a new eye.

I say this because I bought the retro pattern but filed it away as a "Maybe" but after seeing your yellow printed dress, I'm reconsidering my position.

Re: BWOF dress, I don't see your review on PR (yet?) but did you modify it at all. I wonder if it's close fitting or not. Doesn't seem to be but would like to know if you altered the width of the skirt portion at all.

And I too love to see you with your sister.

Linda L said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I love Florida and Miami is always special place to visit. So much to see and do!!!

Lane said...

Your whole wardrobe for the trip is adorable! Every piece looks great on you.

My sister and I go on a trip together every summer. Aren't sister trips fun?

melissa said...

You look great! I'm so jealous of the warm weather, though I'm exactly with you on the sunburning front. The worst places I've ever been lobster red are - the bottoms of my feet (sleeping face-down), and my eyelids (because you fall asleep, and it's one place I forget to smear)!