Monday, March 14, 2011

Patronizing the Garment District

No, not the garment district in NYC--the one in DC! LOVE the play on the name; if you really live here you call DC "The District," so it's quite a clever pun.

Garment District DC is an initiative to bring cool local retail to an otherwise empty space for a few months both to showcase local artists and to encourage permanent development. The location is fantastic, a huge space at 7th and New York Ave a half block down from new hotspot The Passenger (which shows its DC pride in its slogan "God Save the District") and across the street from the DC Convention Center.

I walk by this space every day and marvel that it hasn't been snatched up and filled with retail, so when I saw Garment District my curiosity was piqued. When I saw a room full of sewing machines, it was doubly piqued! They have been offering lessons in various techniques and there are still a few to come.


Lots of local artists have taken advantage of the venue for clothing, accessories (check out my awesome purse from L~Shandi!), jewelry, and art. I've popped in a few times and the stock turns over fairly quickly so there is always something new.

Unfortunately, this is only a temporary installation and it will end March 20. Be sure to stop by and check it out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am drooling over your purse!

Andrea said...

The whole idea sounds great. Love the bag.

MushyWear said...

I'd definitely check it out if I lived there. You picked up a really cool purse!