Friday, June 26, 2009

Odds and Ends

First of all, thank you for all the helpful responses to my request for the June Knip Mode! Geertje is sending it to me and I should have it within the next couple weeks! I'm so excited.

=============================

Silk Jersey 6-09 So of all the fabric I *did* get in NYC of course I was lamenting what I didn't. I wanted some avocado jersey, and after working with some silk jersey was kicking myself for not getting anyone. That's when Elizabeth of eword10 said she had found silk jersey in avocado for $5.99/yd!!!!!! When she offered to pick some up and mail it to me, I couldn't say yes fast enough. It arrived yesterday. It is gorgeous. I've already made the dress I intended for avocado jersey out of the Spandex House print so now I've got to figure out what to do with it.... Thank you, Elizabeth!

=============================

There were a few questions on my Butterick 5320 puffy collar wrap dress:

Linda said...

I hope you don't mind, but I have to ask about your shoes. They look like a perfect match for the green. Will you share information about them. Green is my favorite color.


Unfortunately, I am no help with these shoes. I got them on eBay around three years ago, so I'm guessing they are no longer available. The brand is Bamboo, and if it's any consolation they're so poorly made I've actually never worn them out of the house for fear that they absolutely chew up my ankles and leave me bloody.

Rachel said...

Since you posted that Laundry dress on your June 19 post, I have become obsessed with finding a pattern for it. A nice person at Stitcher's guild found one really close and I wanted to share it with you: http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2787.htm?tab=list/vintage_vogue&page=all


Well, obviously I have consistent taste, because I made Vogue 2787 a couple years ago (pattern review)! I brought it with me to Vietnam for dressy events. Here I'm wearing it in the Mekong Delta:

Trena Stilt Houses

=============================

And now I will abuse some scrapbooking supplies. My sister is an avid and talented papercrafter and I always like to see what she's got going on when I visit. Papercrafters have a lot of nifty tools, including a stylus-type hole punch you can use to make holes anywhere on the page. I thought this was brilliant and immediately bought one (with Joann coupon, of course) for making small holes for earrings in cardstock. It was only a few dollars and I have gotten a ton of use out of it.

Belts are always a problem. I buy most of mine at Ross, which isn't big on selection, so they rarely have my size. Even when belts are my size, they have for many years been designed to wear closer to the hip with low rise pants than at natural waist, and so I almost always have to add a few more holes. Once I figured this out it made everything easier. Perfect skinny patent leather belt for $3.99, but only available in
XXL? No problem! Just put in some new holes and cut off the excess. I wanted a gold belt and found one on Bluefly that reverses from gold to red. Perfect, because I've been wanting a red patent belt as well. It arrived and needed a few more holes. So I pulled out my trusty papercrafting hole punch and got to work.

Adding Holes to Your Belt

Look for this belt accessorizing an upcoming project!

14 comments:

Christina said...

I also do my belt shopping at discount stores so I know what you mean about never finding the right size. You just made my day by showing us this tool!

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! :)

BConky said...

My daughter has a small waist so she buys childrens belts. Works like a charm and they are less expensive.

Little Hunting Creek said...

What a genius idea - I need one of these! You are so clever

Toby Wollin said...

Great alternative use of tools. Sterling. Now, if I could only find those kits that used to be made so that I can make self covered buckles and belts...

Meg said...

I usually need to add holes at the other end! Good to know.

AuntieAllyn said...

You're a genius with the belt hole-punching idea! Do you ever bother to cut off the excess? Sometimes there's waaaayyy too much belt left hanging after I cinch up the belt buckle, and I hate to keep wrapping it around me . . .

Notamermaid said...

I also have problems finding belts that fit, and even after I take them to have extra holes punched, there's still a lot of belt... You mentioned cutting off the excess - do you do that? How do you finish the edge.

Someday I will learn to make vintage style covered-buckle belts just so I can have belts that actually fit me.

poplin said...

Silly me. All I could think about right now is that chocolate graham cracker box... which reminds me that my tea needs reheating.

Linda said...

Very handy tool and clever to use it for improving your belt. Thanks for the info about the shoes. Too bad they are so uncomfortable. The color was perfect. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Thanks for showing the vintage Vogue dress. I have that pattern and love it, but was unsure how it would look on a real body. Apparently it looks great!

Adelaide B said...

I love love love your version of Vogue 2787. It's one of my favorites on you.

Sherril said...

I'm sorry your cutting board has a hole, but I bet you never make that mistake again. The dress from Viet Nam is so cute. I especially love the fabric.

Bridget Wang said...

You are God sent! I was just looking online for ways to punch more holes on leather belt. Thank you so much for posting!