Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simplicity 2923, Notched Collar Blouse with Directional Stripes

Thumbnail

When I ran across Simplicity 2923 in the book, I was drawn by the brown version, looked at the line drawing, was repulsed by the blousy waist, looked more closely at the line drawing, and was drawn back in by the notched collar and interesting raglan sleeve and back yoke design. It's part of the Project Runway series. Is Simplicity putting out any patterns nowadays that aren't? It kind of loses its luster when it's overused. Anyway, there was no way I was making this into a shirtdress as drafted with the blousy waist, but I thought it would make a nice blouse with a bit of a 40s vibe.

SBAThis navy striped rayon is part of The Carol Collection, and I was tickled by the idea of playing with directional stripes. To that end, I modified the pattern a fair amount. In addition to my usual princess seam SBA at side front (see photo), I cut the back yoke in two pieces so I could get a chevron pattern with bias stripes, eliminated the back darts and replaced them with a single released dart/inverted pleat at center back, left off the front darts, and cut the side fronts on the bias. I cut the sleeves as drafted, but I had to sew a strip of fabric to the shoulder and the cuff to keep the sleeves from sliding down my arm and losing the big poof.

I did a pretty good job of matching the stripes (not like my usual self!), though if you look closely at the front you can see I did a better job matching the side front stripes to the raglan sleeve better on one side than the other. It's still better than most RTW and that's good enough for me, LOL.

The shirt ended up a nice addition to my closet. It's fun to wear but good for days when I don't want to stick out too much! I'm going to look for more notched collars. I like the way they open up and lay flat.

All photos are here and the pattern review is here.

12 comments:

Myra said...

I like this one as a top. You are so right, all Simplicity seems to issue are PR lately and most of the new McCall's seem to be regurgitations of the last season or two.

Christina said...

I am loving this top - the sleeves and the pinstripes going this way and that really make it a standout.

Yeah, I guess what drives me crazy about the PR patterns is that there is no real connection between the patterns and the TV show besides the fact that the same logo is stamped on them. Do they think we're that easily swayed? Well, often yes, but...

Anonymous said...

LOL I love the play on the stripes, and looking at the matching, I think it'll be one of those things you notice and most people never do.

What a great shirt!

Anonymous said...

I love blouses and you have posted some cute ones! I love the stripes--you are very creative! I am about to start a PR pattern. All the parts are a bit intimidating!

Unknown said...

Well, to be honest, I'm not sold on the pattern but your interpretation is certainly delicious!

Love the strip work. Maybe I can offer a tip? Burda has you draw the chevron stripes on the pattern pieces BEFORE cutting them out so you make matchy-matchiness to your heart's content! I tried it once and it is a Good Idea...

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I love it. You make the most wonderful tops. I, to have been working on some directional ideas lately. Love what you've done.

Little Hunting Creek said...

super cute and I love the sleeves. I did not even notice this pattern before because those illustrations are too busy. I should have looked more closely. Very nice.

vespabelle said...

I love the way your blouse looks! And Arielle's tip is a really good one!

Vicki said...

Nice work on the stripes!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blouse! Dumb question from a newbie here. If you use both on grain and bias fabric pieces with a garment, do you have to worry about the bias pieces "growing"? And if so, how do you deal with that? Thanks! Feel feel free to email me offline at eword10 at yahoo dot com.

AllisonC said...

Great blouse and great job matching the stripes! your fabric and sleeves remind me of the new Vogue Tracy Reese suit pattern.

mochimo said...

I like this blouse. It fits you perfectly and you look great in it. Brava, brava, brava!