Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration

Arriving

I spent most of the long weekend frantically working on a new coat to wear to the Inauguration (even while Cidell was visiting me! it's good to have sewing friends who understand). I got it *almost* done under the wire. At midnight the night before, knowing I was meeting friends at 7:30 am to walk over to the Mall, I decided I was too tired and just basted in the hem without even finishing the edges; I didn't press because I wasn't sure that would be the final hemline. So the hem was a disaster and it still needs some hand finishing but everything else is exquisitely done and it kept me warm during a very cold morning on the Mall to celebrate the swearing in of our 44th President, Barack Hussein Obama!

It was amazing to be there. Everyone was so happy and friendly and courteous and optimistic. My feet were sooooo cold and one of the women standing near us passed me some hand warmers when she heard me complaining. Everyone was like that. There were 1.8 millionish people there and ZERO arrests. ZERO. Can you even comprehend that? That is a people full of optimism and, I hope, a new civility inspired by the grace and graciousness (not to mention intelligence, commitment, and sheer handsomeness) of our new President.

I only took a few photos because I've learned my lesson about taking too many--I never get around to editing them--and they're here. Unfortunately, dumb me forgot to ask one of my friends to take a picture of me with my camera so I have nothing to show you on the coat! Ay! I've emailed around a request but it will probably take a couple of days.

**edit** Yay! One of my friends came through. Here's a group shot with a teaser view of the coat. All his photos are here. You can see some of the back of the coat in this picture by another friend; her photos are here.

15 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm so glad that you got to be there and to experience the moment!!!

Meg said...

Yeah, lucky you to be there! Is DC really the new NYC?!

Maryissewfast said...

What a feeling it must have been to be there! Good for you! I watched it on TV with a bunch of our students and we got goosebumps! Mary

Elaray said...

I wish I could have been there! I love our new First Family. I would really enjoy sewing for Sasha and Malia.

teresa said...

How exciting for you. I watched it live on Cnn.com on my laptop and even though it was tiny on my screen, I was riveted, and moved. What a wonderful day! I felt there was a feeling in the air like you described here too, in Oakland, CA. As I went about my business, it seemed like everywhere I went people were just so happy and positive.

I want to say how lovely that coat looks on you. Purple looks good on redheads and you wear it well. I can't wait to see the closeups and details.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Lucky you! What fun to be there in person! What I can see of your coat looks great.

-E said...

Oooo that made me feel all warm and fuzzy :) and so did your coat! I love it!

Have you been hat-making at all?

Jackie said...

Glad you got to be there!! I felt so proud watching it all on tv. ! can't wait to see a full view of your coat, it looks very warm!

Venus de Hilo said...

How wonderful you were able to be there in person. We watched via TV from our couch in PJs at 7am here in Hawaii... so proud and happy, what a great day!

Sue said...

How fantastic to be there!

I look forward to seeing more photos of the coat. I love the colour.

Meg said...

How special that you were actually there for such a memorial event. I was in my lounge room all the way on the east coast of Australia and it was special and exciting.

Christina said...

That is so awesome - lucky you! Except for the cold temperatures. I watched it on TV with my coworkers, we even had sparkling cider in champagne flutes to celebrate.

Lisette M said...

Wonderful that you could be there. We thought about going a lot but couldn't see making it work with the kids.

Anonymous said...

oh my how freakin' cool that you got to be there! I teach here in Portland, and I just made it to the student center in time for the swearing-in and first speech. To be in a crowd of a hundred-plus people who all stood together when the announcer said "Please rise ... " Goosebumps, and tears! So glad you got to wear a new coat, too. THAT's important.

Kitty Couture said...

Great coat! How special that you got to be there. I followed the Inauguration on TV and whenever they showed the Mall I kept looking for you!