Tuesday, October 7, 2008
I just love 08-2007-105. It's incredibly versatile, and the bust was easy to adjust simply by taking some length off the bottom of the upper bust pieces and flattening the curve a little. I first used it as the basis to adapt plus-sized 04-2008-128 to my size. Then I used it for this. I haven't even made it yet as drafted!
I am a huge fan of a tie waist, to the point where I often feel like I need to cool it on that look because so many of my projects have one that I fear people will find me repetitive when, in truth, I'm pretty sure the only person who notices what I wear on a daily basis is the fabulous fashionista guy who checks me in at the gym. A tie waist works for me, so I'll stick with it. So when I saw Allison C's New Look 6729, I knew I had to have it. I didn't want to have to buy a new pattern, though. Luckily, Sharon M had linked a photo of the bodice in progress to her review. A light bulb went off as soon as I saw it--I already had the pattern, it just needed a little tweak.
I cut the ties as long as I could with my fabric. I'll try to remember to add the measurement later. My knit had a distinct right and wrong side and was pretty flimsy. To deal with this, I cut out strips as long and wide as the ties, laid them right side to right side, stitched all the way around, and turned right side out.
This little top is really sensational. It looks great on me and makes the most of scant assets--a friend commented unsolicited that I was looking kind of "boobie" when she saw me in it. It took a yard of fabric and a couple of hours. I meant to make another before summer was done (this is from June-ish) but now it's chilly and too late! Of course, I could make something in long sleeves...
All photos are here.