Tuesday, October 7, 2008

BWOF 08-2007-105 is Tops

Front

I just love 08-2007-105. It's incredibly versatile, and the bust was easy to adjust simply by taking some length off the bottom of the upper bust pieces and flattening the curve a little. I first used it as the basis to adapt plus-sized 04-2008-128 to my size. Then I used it for this. I haven't even made it yet as drafted!

I am a huge fan of a tie waist, to the point where I often feel like I need to cool it on that look because so many of my projects have one that I fear people will find me repetitive when, in truth, I'm pretty sure the only person who notices what I wear on a daily basis is the fabulous fashionista guy who checks me in at the gym. A tie waist works for me, so I'll stick with it. So when I saw Allison C's New Look 6729, I knew I had to have it. I didn't want to have to buy a new pattern, though. Luckily, Sharon M had linked a photo of the bodice in progress to her review. A light bulb went off as soon as I saw it--I already had the pattern, it just needed a little tweak.

105BodicePatternTie

I cut the ties as long as I could with my fabric. I'll try to remember to add the measurement later. My knit had a distinct right and wrong side and was pretty flimsy. To deal with this, I cut out strips as long and wide as the ties, laid them right side to right side, stitched all the way around, and turned right side out.

This little top is really sensational. It looks great on me and makes the most of scant assets--a friend commented unsolicited that I was looking kind of "boobie" when she saw me in it. It took a yard of fabric and a couple of hours. I meant to make another before summer was done (this is from June-ish) but now it's chilly and too late! Of course, I could make something in long sleeves...

All photos are here.

13 comments:

Lisette M said...

Very cute and flattering! I loved your new podcast too, keep them coming.

Little Hunting Creek said...

Wow, that looks really good on you, plus that color suits you. You should make another with long sleeves(right away! Now! I know you have the fabric ;). I loved your podcast too; you and Cidell make a great team.

Gorgeous Things said...

That looks fantastic on you. I think of all the things you've made, this top is my favorite!

TinaJewel said...

I love this on you! I have a dear friend with reddish hair also and her best looking dresses are this turquoise color! Wise choice for you!

Vicki said...

yes, very cute! And it would be pretty easy to add sleeves. I am toying with the idea of adapting a Burda dress that I have made recently into another style. Easier (and cheaper) that refitting another pattern. I am glad you showed the changes you made to this pattern as I would have just ignored it with that collar.

Big Sis said...

That top does work great for you - good fit, and the print really enhances.

NancyDaQ said...

Love this top! You should definitely make another one with long sleeves. No one will know that it's the same pattern--trust me.

Myra said...

A good top for you. BTW, I love the skirt fabric. Where is it from?

Meg said...

Nice! Love the small-scale print.

AllisonC said...

Wow I really thought you had put the wrong pattern number in the title when I saw the photo, it's exactly like the New Look pattern, you did a brilliant job. I am a bit hooked on tie waists at the moment too!

kasizzle said...

It does look just like the New Look pattern and it looks so good on you!

Tany said...

It's beautiful and I love that color on you. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! I was planning on making this one very shortly but then opted for BWOF 08/2006 #104 since it's essentially the same top but with long sleeves. And we need long sleeves here already!