Friday, August 26, 2011

Stashoholism Confessional: Gifts from Foreign Lands

Sari from India 8-2011

*Somebody* went to India without me (for work!) at the beginning of the month. India is one of my top destinations, so I was pretty jealous. I let him know that he would need to bring me back a present, and it should probably be a sari. I like a man who can take direction, because when I surprised him at the airport he forked it over. It is gorgeous! And I took a tiny sample from one end (the ends aren't finished) to burn--it is 100% silk. This is a truly special gift, and I was completely touched by it.

I don't want this gift to sit on the shelf, and Burda has totally come through for me the past two months. When I got the fabric I immediately thought of the Antik Batik exclusive design from August, Burda 08-2011-142 (line drawing on the left). Love the drapey look and luxurious use of fabric (the sari is huge, I think something along the lines of 7 usable yards). But then September arrived, and I was equally drawn in by the cover dress, Burda 09-2011-104, the line drawing on the right. The Antik Batik is still the front runner, I think, because I like the long sleeves. However, I have read through the directions several times and am still completely in the dark about how the skirt construction works. I'm really going to have to figure out that fabric starching-for-cutting thing before undertaking this project.

======================

Donna and Trena

My next indiscretion I blame entirely on my participation in the Dandies & Quaintrelles Full Moon Ride! I wrote about it on my other blog, but suffice it to say it is incredibly fun and an opportunity for dress up. I wore my McCall 5045 50s style dress--the dress code is white or light colors, and vintage style is always welcome.


G Street Fabrics, 8-2011 So when I went to G Street Fabrics for the usual Fashion Sewing Club meeting the next morning I mind was buzzing with Full Moon Ride outfit ideas. I had to check out the $2.97/yd table and the $6.97/yd silk table, as usual. And was tempted, as usual. And fell, as usual. The silk is totally excusable, I just bought a yard for lining the bodice of my final Burda 08-2009-128 boatneck dress. The houndstooth, though, I mean I was in such a vintage frame of mind. The fabric is polyester, make no mistake, but it is definitely the old school kind. The houndstooth is woven, not printed. How great will this be in an unfitted shift with a white jacket (not that I currently own one) over it? So great, that's how great. Totally mod.

======================

Thank you so much for the nice comments you left on my McCall 6363 knockoff post! So, here's why the photos came out so well.

First of all, I was taking the pictures in the afternoon. My photo "studio" is a piece of fabric looped over my canopy-less canopy bed. I usually take photos in the morning before work. It faces west, so when I try to take pictures in the evening the setting sun reflects off my glasses. I took these photos before going out for the evening so I didn't wear glasses to avoid the glare. I have made my peace with wearing glasses, and consider them fun face jewelry. But let's face it, nobody ever had the mousy secretary put glasses *on* in the movies to reveal that she is a gorgeous vixen.

Since I wasn't going to wear glasses, I figured I should put makeup on to define my eyes, as I have blonde lashes and eyebrows.

Then I had taken a shower. My hair was taking a long time to dry so I used the blow dryer. While I was blowing it dry, I figured I might as well haphazardly apply a round brush.

So, that is me when I actually make an effort. Don't get used to it.


======================

I have a bunch of questions I plan to answer soon, but today I need to work on my birthday dress! I am being whisked out of town for the weekend (far enough inland to avoid the hurricane, it looks like) to celebrate my birthday with hiking and nature, so I've got work fast today to get my dress ready for Wednesday.

18 comments:

Claire S. said...

The sari fabric is so pretty ! I haven't seen a Burda September yet but your 2nd choice dress from that issue looks very appealing. Can't wait to see what the sari turns into.

One of these days, I'm going to have to stop posting fabric acquisitions and actually sew something up ! LOL

ELMO said...

Beautiful fabric, I just tried the starch before cutting thing and am sewing the dress now but I don't think I used enough, I didn't soak it in starch but just used the starch in a can. It did make it slightly easier to cut.

Reethi said...

It's really, really hard to go to India and not come back with a suitcase of fabric. Really, really, near-impossible hard. I'm still sewing the stuff I brought back almost two years ago.

Mary said...

"So, that is me when I actually make an effort. Don't get used to it. "

Ha! You always look so cute and stylish.

kbenco said...

The sari looks so lovely. I like the look of the September dress. I have the most amazing sari my Mum brought me from India, but regret that it has been sitting in the stash for a year whilst I work up some courage. I am looking forward to your dress.

Sigrid said...

Beautiful, lovely colors. Nice present.
Only now see your dress younposted earlier this week. What a great look.

Eugenia said...

Your Indian fabric is beautiful - it will certainly make a very stunning dress and I think either of the two patterns you have picked would be wonderful. It is a very lovely and thoughtful gift - I think that fabrics that are handpicked with love are very special!

Jillybejoyful said...

Ohmygosh that fabric makes me want to reach out & touch it! So luscious looking! I look forward to seeing pics of the finished dress :)

Mrs. Micawber said...

You always look great. We're used to that.

Amazing fabric. The draped skirt on the first Burda you mention reminds me of an old Threads article (I think it featured Tom and Linda Platt) which showed some interesting skirt-draping techniques. Also very reminiscent of pre-WWI hobble skirts and their overlays.

Can't wait to see what you do with it!

WeLoveSewing said...

My husband just came back from India too and brought me 3 saris, one silk and 2 gauzy transparent stuff ( haven't burnt it yet to see what it is). I am having trouble finding a pattern for them though as not only do they have border prints, which I want to use, but the pattern is also irregular throughout the sari.

Kitty Couture said...

Have a great weekend, and happy birthday!!

Amber Elayne said...

I am LUUUUV-ING that cover picture dress! Divine, sexy, ethereal, classy.... I don't even get that mag but I will look around for it now!

Anonymous said...

Don't know why the above comment posted with my email. Is it possible for you to edit that out? Thanks.

Uta said...

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who never gets around to styling their hair! The fabric/sari is beautiful; I'd love to see one of the dresses made up.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sari silk to use as fashion fabric.

Have been looking at that Antik Batik pattern too since the pattern uses a sari for fabric(its quite a crime that I have extremely easy access to these and yet have never used them) but don't think I am quite ready for the instructions yet.

And I just realised you have the same birthday as my Dad. Have a happy birthday!

Carol said...

I love this sari fabric and both of those dresses would be perfect for it. I, too, would be terrified of cutting that fabric, but you are so talented it will work at no matter what you do!

McVal said...

That fabric is beautiful! What a special special friend to do that for you! I guess I need to be more specific in what I ask people to bring back to me for souvenirs because once I got a plastic spork from KFC...

MySummerTouch said...

Even though I don't understang who is "somebody", he brought a nice fabric!And I really love this dress also and thinking about what fabric to choose for it!
I wanted to show you something completely shoking from new Burda magazine, October issue, I can expect it from fashion magazines, but NEVER from a sewing magazine!http://mysummertouch.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-burda-october-2011.html