Friday, December 12, 2008

From the Archives: BWOF 06-2008-105

Thumbnail

In an effort to clear out my review backlog, here's a project I did over the summer and took pictures of and everything. I've just been too lazy to write about it.

I loved the look of this one when it came out in the magazine and when everyone started making it I loved it even more. For my version I busted out some silk dupioni I had bargained for at Chic Fabrics in NYC when I was there for Mermaid Parade.

The only challenge was limited fabric, as I'd only bought 1 yard but it was 60 wide. I had to cut it out on the crossgrain instead of grain to get it to fit (I notice no grain issues from this), I pieced the shoulder yoke with a CB seam, and I did the under-collar with that same olive/bronze dupioni I've been using for everything lately. The smallest size this comes in is a 38 so I had to size it down two sizes; it's only a semi-fitted style so the fit is fine. The gorgeous 1" shell buttons were a gift from Carolyn when Cidell and I stopped by on our way home from PR Weekend 2007.

Although this blouse looked great on everyone else I really feel very meh about it on me. There's something wrong with the length of it, and the blousiness at the waist is not something I normally do (though I've been experimenting with it lately) so it doesn't match my usual silhouette and I am not good with change. There were no technical issues and I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just was not pleased with this. Hopefully in the Spring when I can wear it again I'll like it better.

There's not much more to see, but all photos are here and the review is here.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, love the ruching on the sides! I need to get back to shirt making! Have a good weekend.

Little Hunting Creek said...

I love the color, the fabric, I love the ruching - what's not to like? I am a total sucker for this style too. When you take it out again when it finally gets warm again (sometime in March if we are lucky) maybe it will have grown on you.

Vicki said...

The blouse is lovely and the colour is perfect for you. Looking at it though, I wonder if the proportions are wrong with the skirt. You are 50% blouse and 50% skirt and "they" say 1/3, 2/3 is better. Perhaps that is the problem? maybe a couple of inches shorter or tucked into a high waist skirt. The waist blousing looks good to me, just the length is a bit off. (IMHO of course)

Myra said...

Try wearing it open a few buttons with a tank underneath this spring or on a warm day.

Sew-4-Fun said...

I love your blouse, especially with the belt. I was going to say put it in the magic wardrobe, but it's obviously already served time there as this is an archived project. :)

Nancy Winningham said...

I really like the work you've been doing/sharing lately. Making that sweater into a skirt was ingenious and I like the changes to the green sweater as well. I'm going to have to go back and look up that BWOF blouse pattern (the one in this post.) I really like ti.

AllisonC said...

I think the blouse is lovely, good idea to try it in a dupioni. My version was more fitted through the waist but I think thats because there is more of me to fill it up!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Vicki, that's a great suggestion. I did learn that rule of proportions in my watercolor classes (good thing because the actual art part was totally lost on me) and your observation about this pairing is correct. There's also a volume issue--all the skirts in my closet are A lines and I need to fill in some pencil skirt gaps; I think a slimmer bottom would look better with this looser top.

Dawn said...

I made this top a while ago too and didn't like it until I wore it a few times. Now, I love it as a layering piece over my black long underwear top.

Kitty Couture said...

Oh, I love the colour combination - those colours look so good on you. I agree that you'd probably like it better if worn over a slim skirt. I do hope you get to like it - it is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

I think it looks nice on you, but I totally understand what you mean about long blouses. I've only ever bought one or two tunics in shops, but I always end up cutting off a few inches and making them tops in the end...

(omg the word I'm meant to verify on this comment form is "retch"! Is blogger making a comment on your top??)