Monday, July 6, 2009

BWOF 04-2009-102, Summer Happy Hour Dress

BWOF 04-2009-102 Thumbnail

So as soon as it started getting warm all the girls of DC busted out their strappy sundresses. I was struck with jealousy and also amazement at the fact that I do not have a single strappy sundress in my closet. The closest I come is my goddess dress, which is not spaghetti straps. So I neeeeeeeded one.

When I found this fabric at G Street on the bargain table in April, I was thrilled. It's lace, it's tiered, it's stretch--perfect for a quick, easy wearing, fashionable summer happy hour dress. I snatched up enough for a dress and a super-easy elastic skirt (haven't made the skirt yet) and sewed it up within a few days.

When I got home I went through the BWOFs and decided on 04-2009-102. In the magazine, I thought the photo for the top version was a jersey (turns out it was a silk), but this pattern is in fact for wovens. Pfft. I treat that as a mere suggestion (not the other way, though; I would never attempt to turn a knit pattern into a woven one). Since the fit in the woven is intended to be very body conscious at the bodice, I didn't need to size down to use a knit. Well, I did have to size down because the smallest size was a 36, but I would have sized down to a 34 in the woven, too.

There is really not so much to say about this dress, other than it's easy but has a nice impact.

-In cutting the slinky underlining for the lower front piece, which has the drape/cascade/whatever you want to call it, I cut the underlining off along neckline to reduce the bulk.

-I used a heavy woven interfacing on the upper front bodice so the square neckline would stay square and stand up. It does those two things; however, it pulls/opens outward a little bit at the upper edges. I experiment with putting boning along the center front edges and it had no effect so I didn't end up adding any.

Line bodice-In addition to the colored slinky underlining (the leftovers from my mom's Knip Mode gather front tee), I lined the bodice to get a clean finish. As you can see, I tacked down the drape/cascade by sewing the lining over it. I should probably trim off the excess but I haven't bothered to do so yet.

-I used elastic for the straps, which was actually kind of dumb. I don't know what I was thinking. It's too stretchy and I think the elastic isn't strong enough to hold up the dress for too many wearings (what with the slinky and all the volume it is quite heavy). I keep meaning to pick up some flat lace to sew on top for some stability. The good thing about elastic is that it doesn't fall off my shoulders.

-Left out the zipper.

Add Back Darts-Even though part of the beauty of this dress is that it's shapeless and therefore you can eat as much as you want while wearing it, it was a little too sacky when completed. I added back darts to give it a tad more shape.

Front


I am very pleased with my summer happy hour dress. It's cute, fashionable, comfortable, easy to wear, and a little bit sexy. I am always conflicted about making clothes I can't wear to work, because the number of occasions to dress for that don't involve work are rather embarrassingly small sometimes when I have gotten lazy about my social life, but I've already made several opportunities to wear this one and I think it has served its purpose well.

All photos are here and the pattern review is here.

26 comments:

Uta said...

Pretty and sexy - it's all a girl could ask for! I've wondered since I first saw the pattern if/how it would stay up/keep its shape, so it's interesting to see how you made it. Have fun at the happy hour!

senaSews said...

Super cute dress. I love the fabric and the contrasting lining. Beautiful!

Little Hunting Creek said...

This is super cute - now you have to go out more!

Anonymous said...

super cute!! I love the lace fabric. Honestly I did have to eek a little at the elastic straps. I have a very active imagination and I dread the thought of a wardrobe malfunction...LOL! But like I said, looks FAB!!

Maryissewfast said...

Adorable dress on you...good interpretation of the fabric...can't wait to see the skirt!

chicamericaine said...

Love your happy hour dress. We'll be doing our summer college tour in August - but unfortunately won't make it down to DC. Wishing you a wonderful summer, and looking forward to the next time we see you in Paris. K

Christina said...

I love this! Perfect HH dress. I need a dress for Vegas soon, I wonder if I have a fabric that would work with this style...

Anonymous said...

Great dress. Very flirty.

BConky said...

You look so cute. Have fun on your nights off in your new strappy sundress.

Anonymous said...

What a great dress. Very flattering and what a great color...on you! Another thing I just get to drool over.

Trudy said...

Love it. It looks great on you.

www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love the lace/slinky combination, the lace really shows off this way! Very cute dress for having a very good time!!

Meg said...

Sexy dress, T! Here's a summer read for you: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

Sew-4-Fun said...

Wow, knock 'em dead! Watch out boys! LOL.

Linda L said...

Cute dress. Love the colors. Love that you can eat as much as you want while wearing it!!

Dana said...

Fun dress! Now go have some fun in it!

Sue said...

Love the dress - it looks like it is made for fun!

Adriana B. said...

Beautiful! Compliments both your figure and your coloring! Great way to go!

AllisonC said...

Very cute dress, much better for a happy hour dress than a wedding dress a la Burda I think. That was a great fabric find too.

Jenny said...

Beautiful color combination. I didn't think to make this dress because I didn't think it would be flattering, but it looks great on you. I have some jersey prints coming to me in the mail...

Tee said...

Great DC happy hour dress! I work in DC and haven't been to one a while...I'll have to make a point to go soon!

Susan said...

Your choice of fabric makes this such an elegant dress. Very different than the style in the magazine.

Sharon said...

I love, love, love this dress. Now if I was as in shape as you are. LOL. Great job and it looks fabulous!

ClaireOKC said...

Ooooo - I did this dress, a little different version and I love it - I fit the bust to a tee and it looks like a million bucks on me...I haven't looked (and felt) so sexy in decades!!! Your's looks smashing!

Anonymous said...

Really nice dress, cute, sexy, but not too much, nice fabric. This dress wouldn't work on me, but I really like it on you. I like the length, I don't like the long version.

Tany said...

WOW, I love it! You look stunning!