Monday, July 6, 2009
So as soon as it started getting warm all the girls of DC busted out their strappy sundresses. I was struck with jealousy and also amazement at the fact that I do not have a single strappy sundress in my closet. The closest I come is my goddess dress, which is not spaghetti straps. So I neeeeeeeded one.
When I found this fabric at G Street on the bargain table in April, I was thrilled. It's lace, it's tiered, it's stretch--perfect for a quick, easy wearing, fashionable summer happy hour dress. I snatched up enough for a dress and a super-easy elastic skirt (haven't made the skirt yet) and sewed it up within a few days.
When I got home I went through the BWOFs and decided on 04-2009-102. In the magazine, I thought the photo for the top version was a jersey (turns out it was a silk), but this pattern is in fact for wovens. Pfft. I treat that as a mere suggestion (not the other way, though; I would never attempt to turn a knit pattern into a woven one). Since the fit in the woven is intended to be very body conscious at the bodice, I didn't need to size down to use a knit. Well, I did have to size down because the smallest size was a 36, but I would have sized down to a 34 in the woven, too.
There is really not so much to say about this dress, other than it's easy but has a nice impact.
-In cutting the slinky underlining for the lower front piece, which has the drape/cascade/whatever you want to call it, I cut the underlining off along neckline to reduce the bulk.
-I used a heavy woven interfacing on the upper front bodice so the square neckline would stay square and stand up. It does those two things; however, it pulls/opens outward a little bit at the upper edges. I experiment with putting boning along the center front edges and it had no effect so I didn't end up adding any.
-In addition to the colored slinky underlining (the leftovers from my mom's Knip Mode gather front tee), I lined the bodice to get a clean finish. As you can see, I tacked down the drape/cascade by sewing the lining over it. I should probably trim off the excess but I haven't bothered to do so yet.
-I used elastic for the straps, which was actually kind of dumb. I don't know what I was thinking. It's too stretchy and I think the elastic isn't strong enough to hold up the dress for too many wearings (what with the slinky and all the volume it is quite heavy). I keep meaning to pick up some flat lace to sew on top for some stability. The good thing about elastic is that it doesn't fall off my shoulders.
-Left out the zipper.
-Even though part of the beauty of this dress is that it's shapeless and therefore you can eat as much as you want while wearing it, it was a little too sacky when completed. I added back darts to give it a tad more shape.
I am very pleased with my summer happy hour dress. It's cute, fashionable, comfortable, easy to wear, and a little bit sexy. I am always conflicted about making clothes I can't wear to work, because the number of occasions to dress for that don't involve work are rather embarrassingly small sometimes when I have gotten lazy about my social life, but I've already made several opportunities to wear this one and I think it has served its purpose well.
All photos are here and the pattern review is here.