Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stashoholism Confessional: Knits Edition

So, I'm back from Vietnam and will be doing a Very Special Stashoholism Confessional for those fabrics soon. I'm thinking if I do these more quotidian fabrics first, these minor sins will be forgotten when I do the Vietnam post. `-)

Last Saturday was Fashion Sewing Club at G Street. I didn't make it in March because I was having a tour of the White House courtesy of a friend who works there, and I'll be in Paris for the May meeting (what a life I do lead! it sounds so exciting when I write it down) so I was happy to make this one. We talked about elastic and shared recent projects and just generally had our fun time.

I had an excuse for checking out the fabrics on the $2.97 table, because I needed something to coordinate with a knit print I got from Kashi at PR Weekend 2007. I love it but it's a little busy and the advice I was given when buying it was "not right up against the face." I did find a coordinating fabric, but two more somehow jumped into my arms. The green and navy print will go with a couple of navy skirts I have planned, and the black and white will be a nice basic knit tube/pencil skirt. You can never have too much black and white, right? I only got 1 yard of each, so I think I showed remarkable restraint.



I had not been really moved by any patterns with neck binding that would let me keep the Kashi print away from my face...until I got home and tore into the most recent BWOF. I LOVED this top and dress from the Plus section:



I was bummed about the idea of maybe having to grade it until I realized that Burda does this style top fairly often and sure enough, I found it in my size in August 2007, #105. It will be easy enough to translate the neck binding idea to the 8/07 pattern. I even like the puffy sleeves of that version better, and will do the bottom sleeve binding in the contrast, and maybe also a contrast band at the hem (I'm liking this look in some boutiques I pass on my walk to/from work).

Here's the Kashi fabric with the blue eyelet-ish knit.



I was actually kind of hoping to find red rather than blue, but I have a weird relationship with red. I almost always love it...but I don't wear it that often. Blue, on the other hand, has been my staple since I was in high school. One of my close friends from college says that everyone with blue eyes is totally narcissistic because blue is always our favorite color. Ha! Maybe it's true, although my theory is that somehow the color of our iris affects the colors we see and blue is the most pleasing because of that. We're probably both wrong, but it's funny anyway.

Let me know in the comments if you have blue eyes, is blue your favorite color? And if blue is your favorite color and you *don't* have blue eyes, leave that too. Or just leave your favorite color totally aside from your eye color. I love hearing people's favorites.

11 comments:

rosanne said...

My eyes are brown and my favorite color is red - lipstick, fire engine, rembrandt toothpaste commercial red. This red has lots of blue in it, so does that help with your theory?? My good friend (her name is Trina, too!) favorite color is blue and she has brown eyes and black hair.

NancyDaQ said...

My eyes are blue but my favorite color range is purple. I like blue and turquoise, though. DF loves me in those shades, and since I like them, it's an easy choice to wear them when I see him.

Lisette M said...

My oldest son has blue eyes and his favorite color has always been blue. I have brown eyes and have always been attracted to dark gray and red.

Claire said...

My eyes are dark brown, as is my natural haircolor (before I went grey and became a blonde), but I have been a blue fanatic since I was a very young child. Navy is my "black", but most of the time it's difficult to find. I love just about every shade of blue...always have and always will.

Unknown said...

Hm... de-lurking to be vain. I have blue eyes and have always loved blue.

Anonymous said...

I have brown eyes and dark hair. I have always loved blue and wear it a lot, but a color analyst told me not to wear navy so I've always been afraid to wear it. I wear black instead but lately I've been rebelling and realized that yes, I can wear navy.

Maryissewfast said...

My daughter's eyes are blue and the interesting thing dressing her as a child is that her eye color seemed to change with the intensity of blue she wore. I loved to put her in turquoise because her eyes would be brilliant; purples made them look more violet. On the other hand, my eyes are a hazel brown...I am in a brown phase now, which I guess compliments my eyes or looks like you-know-what! Mary

Melissa Fehr Trade said...

Green... like my eyes. :)

melissa @ fehrtrade.com

Emily said...

Well, me eyes are a greenish blue, and I don't really like blue all that much. I do make exceptions -- denim, of course, and I also love robin's egg blue (though I don't own anything in that color) and "electric" or bright blue. I do love turquoise... I guess maybe that supports your eye color/favorite color theory, since my eyes are greenish blue! I also love purple and red tones, though.

Elaray said...

My eyes are dark brown and blue has always been my favorite color. I had to make myself stop buying blue. I also like red.

Kris C. said...

My eyes are blue, and my favorite colors are shades of blue (especially bright ones) and dark greens.