Saturday, March 8, 2008

Hey, it's ok...to sew easy knits

Glamour magazine has (or had--I haven't looked at one in a couple years) a feature called "Hey, it's ok..." with a list of things that are ok, like "to own more eyeshadow than you can possibly wear in a lifetime" and "to delete and any all chain e-mails--even those from close friends--without opening them." (These examples from June 2005--I'm finally going through old issues, tearing out the inspiration photos, and getting rid of them).

I hadn't sewn in nearly a month I think, other than some grocery bags from the fantastic craftster tutorial by queenofdiy and one blouse I need to photo.



Last night, I finally pulled out the knit print I bought from G Street last month and Simplicity 3775. Today I realized that I've been putting way too much pressure on myself to do hard, complicated, fancy projects when...you know what?...I really like to just sew easy knits. And you know what else? They're cute.

It is my personality always to strive to be A+ top-of-the-class, smarter, harder-working, and every other excelling superlative there is. But this attitude has been stopping me from sewing, because I haven't been in the mood to do hard time-consuming stuff that never turns out exactly perfect so I haven't done anything at all.

But there is no Goddess of Sewing in the sky keeping track of my projects, tsking when I get lazy and just do something easy. Nobody cares! Why should I?!?! And why *do* I? (That one is easy, because I'm insane.)

So I am reminding myself and giving you permission: Hey, it's ok to sew easy knits! Geez! You don't have to make fitted blouses if you don't want to. Just make some cute, easy dresses and *enjoy* what you're doing and wear them in good health.

4 comments:

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

I agree. I have more fabric than I'll ever sew in this lifetime, though I am giving it my shot. I have stopped feeling guilty about not having made something in a while. Sometimes, I just go for instant gratification and do some altered wearable art.

Meg said...

Careful, you could end up like me and just sew easy knits all the time. (Okay, I exaggerate, but easy knits probably comprise about 60 percent of my sewing projects. Because they're easy and life is hard!)

katherine h said...

Me, I like to follow the hard projects straight-up with an easy one. I also like to read trashy magazines between the high-brow novels. It's sort of like the ocean's tides. Love your work!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Lindsay T, I love that thought! They're easy, and life is hard. So true. Riange and Katherine, glad you feel me too.